2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 envelope Fleischmann's® Pizza Crust Yeast OR RapidRise Yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)
2 tablespoons olive OR vegetable oil
Combine 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Stir very warm water and olive oil into flour mixture. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. (If using Pizza Crust Yeast, omit 10-minute rest.)
Lightly oil 1 (14-inch) or 2 (12-inch) round pizza pan(s).** Sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape dough into smooth ball. Divide and roll dough to fit desired pan(s). Top pizza as desired. (see Pizza Toppings tip below)
For a Pan Pizza: Let the dough rise for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on your preference for a thin, more dense crust or a thicker crust. Once the crust has risen to your liking, bake the crust in a preheated 400oF oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add desired toppings (see suggestions below). Return pizza to oven to finish baking for another 10 to 20 minutes, or until done. Baking time depends on size and thickness of crust and selected toppings.
For a Thin-Crust Pizza: Add the desired toppings to unrisen dough; OR, for a crispier crust, bake the unrisen dough in a preheated 400oF oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add desired toppings (see suggestions below). Return pizza to oven to finish baking for another 10 to 20 minutes, or until done. If you choose not to parbake, simply bake the completed pizza at 400oF for 20 to 30 minutes or until done. Baking time depends on size and thickness of crust and selected toppings.
*To use FLEISCHMANN'S Active Dry Yeast: Use 1 package Active Dry Yeast, 1 cup warm water (100o to 110oF), and flour, salt, and oil listed above. Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add remaining water, salt, oil, and 2 cups all-purpose flour; stir well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
Knead as directed. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 to 60 minutes. Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface. Shape, top, and bake as desired.
- **Master Pizza Dough fits the following pans:
- - 1 (15 x 10-inch) baking pan
- - 1 (13 x 9-inch) baking pan
- - 1 (14-inch) or 2 (9-inch) deep-dish pan(s)
- - For individual pizzas, shape dough into 6 or 8 (7-inch) rounds and place on 2 greased baking sheets.
GARLIC AND HERB PIZZA DOUGH: Add 2 teaspoons SPICE ISLANDS Sweet Basil, Oregano (leaves), or Rosemary and 1 clove finely minced garlic along with dry ingredients.
CORNMEAL PIZZA DOUGH: Replace 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with cornmeal.
WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH: Replace 1 cup all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
1. Start with a can of pizza or pasta sauce, spreading the sauce to within 1/2-inch of the edge of the crust. Purchased Alfredo sauce also makes a delicious sauce for a white pizza!
2. Add meat, if desired. Cooked and drained ground beef or Italian sausage, sliced pepperoni, chopped ham or Canadian bacon are traditional favorites. If making a white pizza, try cooked, chopped chicken.
3. Other toppings to add might include chopped onion or sliced green onions, sliced ripe olives, sliced mushrooms or chopped bell peppers.
4. Top with shredded mozzarella OR a blend of Italian cheeses.
Sprinkle with herbs such as Spice Islands® Basil, Oregano (leaves) or Italian Herb Seasoning.
To Freeze: Prepare dough following recipe up to and through the kneading process. Divide dough in half and form into two disc shapes. Tightly wrap dough first with plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil. For best flavor, freeze up to one month.
To Thaw: Remove pizza dough from freezer and thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before shaping and baking. When preparing a thick crust pizza, combine the two discs. For two thin crust pizzas, work the two discs of dough separately. If dough is sticky when rolling, add a small amount of flour. Continue with recipe directions as suggested for thick or thin crust pizzas.