Traditional Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
2 (14-inch) thin crusts OR 1 (14-inch) deep-dish crust
This recipe has earned the goodfibes™ seal indicating it is a good source of fiber. The USDA concluded in 2005 the average American needs to increase their daily intake of dietary fiber. Traditional Whole Wheat Pizza Crust is the perfect foundation for a healthier pizza.
2 envelopes Fleischmann's® Active Dry Yeast
1. Combine yeast and warm water in liquid measuring cup and set aside.
1-1/4 cups water (100° to 110°F)
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
2. Combine flours, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour in yeast mixture and corn oil; mix until dough forms.
3. Knead on clean surface with lightly oiled hands OR continue mixing in stand mixer with dough hook for 3 minutes.
4. Shape dough into ball and place in bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Spray top of dough and cover with plastic film; let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Punch dough down; use to make thin-crust or deep-dish pizza.
To Make Thin-Crust Pizza:
Grease TWO 14-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. Divide dough in half; roll each half on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to pans. Do not let rise. Bake in a pre-heated 400°F oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread sauce onto hot crust; then top with desired pizza ingredients (meat, cheese, etc.). Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes more or until bubbly.
To Make Deep-Dish Pizza:
Grease a 14-inch pizza pan or baking sheet. Place dough in center of pan. With greased hands, pat dough into pan and build up edges to form a rim about 1/2-inch tall. Let dough rest in pan about 15 minutes, until slightly puffy. Bake in a pre-heated 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Spread sauce onto hot crust; then top with desired pizza ingredients (meat, cheese, etc.). Bake for an additional 12 to 20 minutes more or until bubbly.
Note: Dough may be frozen. Freeze each half separately in freezer bags lightly coated with cooking spray for up to one month. Thaw in refrigerator 8 to 12 hours or at room temperature 2 to 3 hours. Dough does not have to rise again after thawing.
Per Serving: (crust only)
Serving size: 1 slice; (about 1/13 of crust)
Serving weight: 2 ounces (56 grams)
Calories 150; Total fat 5 g; Saturated fat 0.5 g;
Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 95 mg; Carbohydrates 23 g;
Dietary Fiber 2 g (1.1 g/oz); Sugars 1 g; Protein 4 g