To give the crust a super shine:
- Brush it with one egg or egg white beaten with a little water before you put your ready-to-go bread in the oven.
- If you forget to do so before baking, you can still apply the egg wash 5 minutes before the bread is to come out of the oven.
For less shine but a good deep, golden-brown color and very good flavor, brush butter on loaf just out of the oven.
For a loaf that’s really delicious, brush the unbaked loaves with milk. It will make a slightly soft or tender crust, with a somewhat dull shine.
Brush unbaked loaves with an egg-white wash and then sprinkle with the topping of your choice...
- Poppy seed
- Caraway seed
- Sesame seed
- Garlic flakes
For a decorative, professional look, glaze and slash the top, after dough rises, with a single edge razor blade or sharp knife. Cut about 1/4 inch into the dough.
No matter what the recipe, make sure you always:
- Measure dry ingredients in a dry ingredients measuring cup or spoon.
- Measure liquid ingredients in see-through measuring cups at eye level.
- Use a thermometer for precise temperatures.
- Follow each recipe exactly.
- Preheat the oven